The meaning behind Firefly!

Firefly is a nickname given to me by my husband. I was attending Girl Scout camp with my daughter, Makayla, and was in need of a camp name. He came up with Firefly because he said I lit up a room every time I smiled. It stuck...Firefly...that's me!

Friday, January 22, 2010

Unit Studies

I've decided to change things up a bit in our homeschooling, at least for the remainder of this school year. We'be been bogged down lately and everyone has gotten frustrated, I think. So, we are working on unit studies right now. Our first study is on Photography. The kids seem to be enjoying what they have done so far, especially since they have the opportunity to take some neat pictures along the way. I don't think we are going to do this next year, however. The more I think about it and look into what is needed to be ready for college, the more I believe that in high school Shawn needs more structure than what the unit studies seem to provide. So, we've decided to use Switched on Schoolhouse for next years curriculum. We used this years ago when they were younger and both in elementary school but it didn't quite feel right for them at that time. What's changed, you might wonder? Well, for one thing I have two more children, and little ones at that, to take care of. SOS does all of the planning and grading for me which I could use at this point. Also, it makes it really easy to prepare high school transcripts. Shawn will also be taking his first elective...Spanish I. I'm so excited for him! We are all looking forward to learning a little Spanish. He really wants to learn Japanese but he needs to get an easier foreign language under his belt first, the principal (a.k.a. dad) and I have decided. I'm glad that the cost is a little more manageable than Bob Jones, as well. I really think this will work out better for all of us, but we may need to look into getting a backup computer. The other good thing is that Makayla can go right into his curriculum in two years so no need to buy new workbooks or anything like that. I'm already for this year to be over and next year to begin :) I may keep doing unit studies next year as well as the computerized curriculum because I think it can only add to a well rounded education. We'll see!

1 comment:

  1. Hello my name is Kristi Gesink and I work for the Homeschooling Company Alpha Omega Publications. I noticed after reading through your blog that you are going to be using our Switched on Schoolhouse curriculum to teach your children at home. We would like to say a big thank you for mentioning our curriculum on your blog and we would appreciate it very much if you would please turn that mention into an actual link to our site http://www.aophomeschooling.com, that way friends and readers can simply click on the link and find out more information about your great curriculum choice!

    If you have any questions please email me at tkgesink@mtcnet.net

    Thanks again and have a great day!
    Kristi Gesink
    AOP

    ReplyDelete