The meaning behind Firefly!

Firefly is a nickname given to me by my husband. I was attending Girl Scout camp with my daughter, Makayla, and was in need of a camp name. He came up with Firefly because he said I lit up a room every time I smiled. It stuck...Firefly...that's me!

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Off to a Great Start

This year has started off wonderfully! I've been having more fun and enjoying more time with my husband and children than in the past. It's not that I didn't spend time with them before but I have been making deliberate attempts to incorporate fun and relaxation into our time together versus being a stickler about every little thing. We took a huge breather in the way of homeschooling which allowed me to refocus and reevaluate our efforts and gave the kids a little room to breathe and reenergize before coming back together in the way of "schooling". It's not that we were doing nothing during this short break. We're only talking about three weeks. We decided to study photography for a couple of weeks and spent some time in what could be considered Guidance Counseling; getting a handle on what it is the kids are interested in doing at this stage and where they see their education taking them. They are both college minded individuals and are focused on dual enrollment at Florida State College at the appropriate time. While it is exciting to have these goals in their all-to-rapidly-approaching futures, I still have to focus on our newest entry into the world of academic education. I am taking things slowly with him. He's enjoying hearing stories and coloring pictures right now but that's about it. I figure since he's only four, he has time to get everything thrown at him later.
Another thing that I have made a point of doing this year is taking time to do things for myself. That pretty much started with Valentines Day when I insisted that my wonderful hubby and I share some quality time alone on a date...with NO kids. Unbelievable. We had an amazing time. Now I'm looking forward to our next date night, although, I'm not sure when that will be. I also took some time to go out to dinner with my favorite cousin/best friend which was a blast. After that we decided to plan a few things together. Since she is starting out in the world of homeschooling we are going to attend a Charlotte Mason conference together and get some great ideas for our little ones. Then we are planning to have a day at the spa together which I can't wait for either. Now, we've decided to schedule activities and events each month to get our children together, incorporate some educational moments and just plain have fun with our kids! We had our first celebration together with the kids last weekend for Valentines Day where I planned a big party complete with a treasure hunt. All of the kids had so much fun! We are looking forward to our next get together for St. Patrick's Day.
Everything just seems to be falling into place for me (and my family)lately! Either I've gotten the hang of dealing with an ornary teenage boy,a precocious pre-teen girl, a rambunctious pre-schooler and a tentative toddler, or I've stopped over analyzing things as much as I have in the past and come to accept that we are who we are. I think keeping this blog has helped me express some of what I go through and deal with and allows me to "get it out" rather than wallow in frustration.
Financial peace has been a prayer for our family for quite some time now. I'm feeling pretty relaxed in this area to. I'm so proud of my amazing husband for his work ethic and his desire to provide for our family in the best way that he can. No matter how frustrated he gets with work he still gets up every day and tolerates working in the extremes of weather to ensure that our family is taken care of. He is the most supportive man when it comes to me being a stay-at-homeschooling Mom! I could not ask for a better man to be a husband to me and a father to our children. He sets such an amazing example to them of the kind of man they should be or the kind of man to marry. He is humble and gentle, loving and kind and extremely devoted to our family. He strives to be the kind of father to our children that they deserve and that he felt he lacked growing up.
So, one long blog later...I've been counting my blessings and I'm pleased to say that there are many!

4 comments:

  1. I think today so many people put value on things and don't count their blessings and see that we all really have so many. It really doesn't matter if you have that huge flat screen or the latest fashion or whatever is the latest fad. When your children are grown you can be proud that YOU had a direct hand in laying the foundation and laying the bricks in their life! I only now understand that as a parent myself. You really are blessed! What a great feeling : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry to get long winded...Had to add this. TJ and I are struggling with me only working 1 weekend a month and not having alot of extra. Just got me thinking...I don't want to be a slave to "things". I want to see my son grow and flourish. I feel like I could write a book about this. Thx for planting the seed only now did it CLICK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all of your comments. I really appreciate the posts because I find encouragement in your responses, as well. If I have learned anything about being a Mom and a homeschooling Mom, at that, then it's that you have to be willing to make changes, reevaluate and determine new strategies. No two of my children can be raised (or taught) under one specific set of guidelines. They are all so different and "demand" and deserve that individual attention. AJ is so lucky to have you as his mom especially since you are becoming so aware of how important it is to raise our own children and not let even the smallest of moments pass us by. Look at us! Grown already with children of our own...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete