The meaning behind Firefly!

Firefly is a nickname given to me by my husband. I was attending Girl Scout camp with my daughter, Makayla, and was in need of a camp name. He came up with Firefly because he said I lit up a room every time I smiled. It stuck...Firefly...that's me!

Sunday, February 14, 2010

My Valentine's Day

First of all...OMG! What an awesome, incredible, amazingly wonderful date we had! It's been five years since Chris and I reunited and this is the most time I think we have ever spent totally focused on one another. We've been so busy raising our four children that we haven't had much time for anything else. While we know the practical advise is to make a date night to keep things strong in your relationship, we either don't have the time (I know we are supposed to make that, too) or we don't have the money (we are raising four kids) or we haven't really had a sitter. Well, we were finally fortunate enough to have the money which allowed us to feel comfortable with going out and leaving our children (yep all four of them) with a sitter. While my dearest friend in the world, that'd be Angie, of course doesn't ever expect payment for watching our children, how can I possibly leave her with her two children and my four and expect her not to inherit a few gray hairs before the night is over. So, hopefully she enjoys the spa after this venture with all six of our children combined. Anyway, back to our date! Did I mention the word AWESOME?! We dropped the kids off at Angie's which was also a huge help for us since we have been in the midst of installing new appliances, craigslisting old appliances, installing new bedroom doors and installing a new toilet... okay so you can imagine our house right now. CHAOS on top of the normal CHAOS!!! Anyway, after leaving Angie and Gene's (that's her husband) house we headed straight for The Melting Pot. I had been to a MP once while in college at UF in Gainesville but that was many, okay, many years ago. Chris had never been before. After a brief wait and a refresher course on the workings of this fine restaurant we dug in and boy was it DE-LIC-IOUS!!! We had some incredible conversation that we had really been missing and some very touching and sweet moments of hugs and kisses which for the most part had turned into fly bys when dealing with all four kids on a 24-7 basis. After two hours we finished the unbelievable dinner and dessert and spent another two hours enjoying our time alone with one another. We even got to swing by Starbucks for some hot chocolate before retrieving the kids. We hated to see the date end but we can only stay away from our kids for so long or leave them with a sitter (even Angie) without worrying about the sitter's remaining sanity and nerves. Fortunately, all seemed to go well with the kids at Angie and Gene's, not that I was ever concerned about that. That was one of the greatest blessings of the night; knowing that the kids were completely taken care of, being kept safe and loved by the people they were left with. How much more can you ask for on Valentine's Day? Oh...and, we exchanged gifts while at the restaurant and how funny is this...we both split up in the mall and were finally excited to be buying each other gifts neither of us could guess or would know about up front. Usually we forego the gifts for each other to get things for the kids but not this year. I guess once every five years is acceptable :D He got me: two pair of earrings and a journal with a bookmark. I got him two pair of earrings and a journal with a bookmark...okay, do we know each other or what? What better time of year to know that you are truly compatable than Valentine's Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment