The meaning behind Firefly!

Firefly is a nickname given to me by my husband. I was attending Girl Scout camp with my daughter, Makayla, and was in need of a camp name. He came up with Firefly because he said I lit up a room every time I smiled. It stuck...Firefly...that's me!

Friday, September 16, 2011

A tough week for a five year old!!!

This has really been a hard week for our little boy. A week ago he was sitting watching television with a plastic sheath to a martial arts practice sword sitting in the edge of his mouth. He decided to bend down to pick something up but still had the sheath in his mouth. He hit the end of this near 3 foot long sheath on the floor and basically rammed I down his throat. It cut his tongue on the way in and left two gaping holes in the back of his throat. When he first came to me my initial instinct was to find out which of his siblings had hurt him. This was quickly replaced with he realization that he had a mouth overflowing with blood. I had his older sister get him some water so I could access the damage and determine how badly he had 'bitten his tongue' or so I thought.. Obviously once his mouth was clear I was able to see that he had punctured the back of his throat. It looked like something science fiction. The holes appeared large enough to fit the end of my ring finger in. I happened to be on the phone with Chris, my husband and his daddy, at the time. Upon seeing the extent of the damage I decided to get him to the Emergency Room to make sure he didnt need stitches and see if he would be okay. Off to Baptist we go. They got him into he back pretty quickly and after three doctors and four consultations they took two xrays. Fortunately, he didn't hit anything vital; no arteries, veins or vocals. So he was put on a liquid diet consisting primarily of ice cream and popsicles for the next three days until his follow up with the pediatrician. I was sure he might get to eat again after his follow up. They wouldn't keep hm on liquids too long, I thought. Surely he'll get to eat again soon but to my dismay he was to stay on liquids for the next week and a half while it heals and scar tissue forms sealing the holes up. While it would probably be most five year olds dreams to get to eat nothing but ice cream, Popsicles, jello, yogurt, applesauce and cold Sprite, my little guy has seriously gotten tired of it and has just about completely stopped eating. His full day consists of maybe a popsicle and a half and a couple of cups of Sprite and that's it! For a week now!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment